Saturday, July 2, 2011

When your client says "jump" you say...

So part of having a nonverbal kid is trying to teach them that language is powerful. In order to accomplish this the following rule applies--if they say it, you must do it so they understand that their words have power. Fortunately, Aaron can talk quite clearly if he wants pizza, chips, candy, chicken (as in the breaded type), ice cream and a few other not so healthy options. He has never walked up to me and said "I want carrots and broccoli". Aaron loves to jump on the trampoline, and he really likes to lay there and have other people jump and make him bounce. It took my husband a while, but he taught Aaron to say, "I want dad to jump" (which sounds like "I wah zaz zo zump"). So when he's said that to me, and I keep saying, "No, you want MOM to jump"--and no dice--it's only "I wah zaz zo zump". He must have realized that I needed some exercise, so tonight he walks up to me and says, "I wah mah zo zump". YAY! First time he's said mom. UGH-I have to jump. I don't like jumping on the trampoline--I've had three kids. But out I go. I don't know why, but he gives me his Winchester ear protectors to put on. He stops me mid-jump to "fix" my hair by pulling the headband of the ear protectors to the front of my forehead--as if I didn't look ridiculous enough with these big things on my ears. So there I am, 9:30 at night, jumping on the trampoline with Winchester ear protectors, panting because I'm so out of shape, and peeing myself. I can only imagine what the nosy neighbors were thinking! Having him look at me in the eyes while we were jumping made it all worth it though. At least I'm going with the thought that he was looking in my eyes even though I'm pretty sure he was watching my hair go crazy.

2 comments: